BinaryOptions.net Forums General

RE: Worried

jbinary219jbinary219 Posts: 11
Hi all, new here and wanted to ask a question.

About 8 months ago I signed up with one of your well-known bucketshop brokers (naivety and not doing proper research.) I traded for about a week, decided it wasn't for me and pulled out, having lost about £140, but the rest of the money I put in I got out OK. I did provide personal details to verify my account. Fast forward a few months, I get a phone call from an "account manager" saying he wanted to withdraw funds to me, I said "there's nothing in the account but if you want to send me money, feel free" and he charged my card £500. I initiated a chargeback and got this money back OK. I am now very worried that my personal details including passport information are in the hands of organised criminals. I have put a mark on my credit report so that if anyone tries to apply for a mortgage or credit card I will be notified and I will have to confirm it, I have also got in touch with the police but there doesn't appear to be anything they can do unless some crime has already been committed. Is there anything you guys can suggest? Is there anything I can do to mitigate the fact that my details may be in the hands of organised criminals?

Many thanks.

Comments

• BryanMacBryanMac Posts: 851 ✭✭✭
    What country are you in?
    Bryan Mcafee
    Hit me up on skype at Brymcafee (McAllen TX)
    www.tradingaxis.com
  • jbinary219jbinary219 Posts: 11
    United Kingdom.
    I wont be much help there then, I went thru an identity theft issue a few weeks ago but I am US based, it was a pain in the arse.
    Bryan Mcafee
    www.tradingaxis.com
    I don't think my details have been used, I'm just concerned, I'm sure anyone who has also signed up with any of these dodgy brokers also has the same concerns. Essentially is it something to be concerned about that these people have my details and I'm not entirely sure who they are? Do you know if there's any evidence of a Cyprus or Israeli based broker misusing client personal documents?

Many thanks for all your help, and I'm sorry to hear of your problems with identity theft. At the moment it's worrying me sick that I might have to deal with this eventually.
  • mrsbearmrsbear Posts: 43
    jbinary, I can't remember where or when but I have read a similar story to yours on a forum before. The account manager, who I doubt will have been a native English speaker, will have worded it in such a way that you thought he wanted to refund you money when his real intention was that he wanted to withdraw money from your credit card and by your lighthearted response you've given him the opportunity to pretend a misunderstanding and that you gave your permission. So they weren't stealing your money as such, just trying to get you to trade with them again.

I have never ever heard of a case of ID theft due to giving details to a broker. They do actually require your details by law so I would try to put this unpleasant business out of your mind and not worry about it. A lot of brokers are dishonest but I've never heard of full-on criminal behaviour from them such as identity theft.
    The account manager was an American man and specifically told me he had money to "withdraw" to me even after I told him I had nothing in the account and did not want to trade any more. As you say, he took this as an opportunity to remove monies from my bank account without my express permission - something I consider theft. Nonetheless, this has been resolved and if nothing else it has reminded me never to do business with an unregulated or Cyprus-based broker.

Thank you very much for your words of reassurrance, it's what I was hoping for.
  • JohanJohan Posts: 10
    What was the broker that you were using?
    Hi Johan - it was LBinary.
    Little bit late but watch these one of the things I say is never talk to them over the phone.

http://forum.binaryoptions.net/discussion/1084/if-you-are-new-to-binary-options-please-watch-these-hell-even-if-you-are-not-watch-them#latest
    Bryan Mcafee
    www.tradingaxis.com
    I know - they called me a few times and I didn't recognise the number, so the only reason I picked up was to find out who kept calling me. It's not an issue any more, I have nothing more to do with them, I was just concerned they might do something illicit with the information they have.
  • KeriusKerius Posts: 40
    Love to bump old thread to see how people problems got solved over the years. Have this worked out well for you ? I mean you could simply block him and that's it ! Every time he will try to use it, stop transaction, do not respond, ignore and that's it. Not much you can do.
  • Gook32Gook32 Posts: 60
    This might be old thread, but I think still relevant. In order to keep our money safe we should be well informed about all scammers that are on the market and especially about their techniques used. Btw, I am also interested to hear how it all ended up